How do you know if you\’re a \”Good Interpreter\”?
After 18+ years working as a professional interpreter, many people always ask “Do you consider yourself a Good Interpreter?”…
And…my answer will always be the same.
I consider myself a good interpreter because:
- I take pride in my work;
Love what I do;
Take my time in researching and learning the industry, and terminology to do my job the best that I can…
So, yes I consider myself a “Good Interpreter”
Now, I know what you are thinking…
Man, this woman is full of herself, she’s kinda conceded, hahaha!!!
But it\’s OK., that just means I’m confident in myself and I know what I can and can’t do!
Now, don\’t get me wrong there\’s more to this…
For starters, the interpreter must…
As our colleague would also state – ( https://rpstranslations.wordpress.com/2018/04/16/what-makes-a-good-interpreter/ )
- Be able to communicate from one language to the target language.
- But don\’t forget, the ultimate and \”main goal is to make sure that everything interpreted was conveyed in such a manner that the person receiving the information, is able to understand the language of the speaker\” The Professional Interpreter–
- We are \”the VOICE\”. So, it is VERY IMPORTANT that the interpreter understands both the source and target language.
- A good interpreter must also be able to understand, synthesize, and have command of grammar, culture, and vocabulary\” The Professional Interpreter–
- The interpreter must be able to interpret everything \”word for word\”, but more importantly make sure that everyone is able to understand him/her.
- \”Heavy breathing, coughing, slurping, rushing through the speech, and chasing speakers too close to what they just said makes you not only look bad\” The Professional Interpreter–,
- Keep in mind that even when you\’re a good interpreter, you need to make sure you keep the pace and make your speakers aware that they must keep a pace (in order for you to be able to interpret everything).
- \”Good voice, décalage, volume, rhythm, pace, voice modulation, clarity, enunciation, are a very important part of a rendition.\” The Professional Interpreter–
So what is a good interpreter?
I strongly believe that a good interpreter who gets along with others is more desirable than a great interpreter who creates conflict everywhere.
To me a \”rock star interpreter\”, is one who understands a \”concept, digests it, and is able to convey it to the client in a pleasant clear voice, so it can be understood by the foreign language speaker; and does it all while being professional, good colleague, and decent human.\” The Professional Interpreter–
So, what are your thoughts of a good \”Rock Star Interpreter\”… Thanks to \”The Professional Interpreter for sharing some wise words… Don\’t forget to follow him at RPSTRANSLATIONS \”The Professional Interpreter\”
Are you Bilingual and are looking to Start a Career as a Professional Interpreter, or maybe looking to Start Your Own Language Agency? Learn More
<iframe src=\"https://anchor.fm/faviolatheceohustler/embed/episodes/24-Learn-How-to-Start-Your-Interpreting-Career-2019--Faviola-Valencia-the-CEO-Hustler-Show-e4vo6j\" height=\"102px\" width=\"400px\" frameborder=\"0\" scrolling=\"no\"></iframe>